7.07.2009

Reason to Celebrate

I'm not quite sure what got me thinking about bizarre holidays, perhaps it was a desire to justify eating a lot of barbecue food like I did over the weekend or wanting to feel guilt-free for a day when indulging in ice cream/M&Ms/Skittles/ect., but I came across several special days that are coming up.

July is...
National Blueberry Month
National Hot Dog Month
National Ice Cream Month

1 Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day
3 Compliment Your Mirror Day
4 Independence Day
6 National Fried Chicken Day
7 National Chocolate Day
7 National Strawberry Sundaw Day
9 National Sugar Cookie Day
10 Teddy Bear Picnic Day
14 Bastille Day
14 National Nude Day1
15 Cow Appreciate Day
16 National Ice Cream Day (actually, this is every day)
20 Moon Day
21 National Junk Food Day
22 Hammock Day
26 All or Nothing Day
27 Take Your Pants for a Walk Day
30 National Cheesecake Day

To be truly a "National" day, Congress first has to pass an act declaring that day a National day. Anyone can create one, though it would probably take a connection to a Congressman, a crafty proposal, and a lot of work and waiting. Many days are simply created by companies (aka card companies), special interest groups, and local governments.

If I were to create a day it would be National No-Driving Day, and anyone caught driving (except for in emergencies I guess) would get a ticket. I hate driving and walk everywhere in the city, and I think a lot of people, and the Earth, would benefit and enjoy it. Also, you would have to be eating ice cream while you walked.


No comments:

Post a Comment