12.28.2010

Christmas Tradition

As I've gotten older I've realized how much I really appreciate and love my family's Christmas traditions. I think as a child you assume that everyone celebrates Christmas in the same way that you do, with Santa taking center stage of course. Perhaps as we get older and meet more people we learn about others' traditions, and, as wonderful as their holidays sound, we love ours even more. Some of my family Christmas traditions include...


Twink, the elf. Every night in December I would tuck Twink, a small elf doll with a bell for a body, into bed beside mine and during the night he would bring me small gifts to find in the morning.

Lunch under the tree at the Walnut Room. My parents and I would go into the city every year before Christmas and wait in line for hours to eat lunch under the Christmas tree at (then) Marshall Fields. We'd then take a walk around the store outside and view the decorated windows.

Last minute shopping. My Dad and I would always race to make it to the store before it closed on Christmas Eve.

Fish on Christmas Eve. My great-grandparents always followed the Catholic tradition of not eating meat on Christmas Eve, so my family has always had fresh fish for dinner that evening. Fish and pierogi, yummm.

Wrapping last minute presents. I would always wait until Christmas Eve to wrap my gifts while watching A Christmas Story. I wish this was for sentimental reasons but it's mostly because I'm a procrastinator.

Biscuits and gravy on Christmas morning. I love that my dad's mom is southern because it makes for a delicious and fun Christmas breakfast!



No comments:

Post a Comment